My husband has so eloquently inspired me to participate in the daily prompt with his wonderful post, that I just couldn’t resist! Today’s magical Daily Prompt, is “Express Yourself: Do you love to dance, sing, write, sculpt, paint, or debate? What’s your favorite way to express yourself, creatively?“
Until my husband’s urging, I ignored this prompt. This is mostly because I’ve always felt much like the “jack of all trades, master of none,” kind of girl.
- I love to write, but other than an article in a tourism magazine (that no one reads) during my stint in public relations, I’ve never been published.
- I’ve been told I’m naturally funny and quick-witted by friends, but my humor has never stretched further than my inner circle, and maybe a few blog posts.
- I’m an excellent cook, but can’t chop onions with lightning fast speed like a Cordon Bleu chef or make creations that grace foodie magazine covers.
- I dabble in crafting and painting, and can get lost in pretty colors and designs, but I’ve seen better work in the home décor section of Target.
- I was involved in theatre for many years, and was even in a PBS film as an extra, but I seriously doubt that I’ll ever be handed a Tony or Oscar for any of my performances.
I find it both humorous, and frustrating, that with every creative endeavor that I undertake, I’ve had an unrealistic expectation to be perfect at it; to prove that I have a gift. Perhaps, this has much to do with my upbringing. My younger brother was a true child prodigy. He was the kid you might see on Oprah, or YouTube. At the age of four, he could play classical piano beautifully, with absolutely no lessons. Gifted with perfect pitch, and the ability to mimic any song he heard, he received quite a lot of notoriety. Just three years older than him, I usually felt like most of my creative outlets were just that; outlets, hobbies, ways to relax or blow off steam. As I’ve gotten older, and much closer with my brother, I’ve realized that not being perfect in my creative expression is perfectly fine, and that being creative has more to do with the enjoyment of the process, rather than the flawlessness of the skill.
And maybe artistic creativity isn’t meant to be my true gift…
Last week, my best girlfriend who has been struggling with a brain injury, sent me this text “Every time I’m with you, It’s like you breathe life back into me. I’m so pumped up, excited, and looking forward to life after we hang out.” That compliment was better than ANY Tony award!
For your viewing (or maybe eye-rolling) pleasure, here’s some of my “art” :
**What are your creative outlets? Do you strive for perfection, or just to enjoy yourself in the process?**
Here’s how some other bloggers express themselves:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Freedom in a pen | MC’s Whispers
- YouTube Clips: Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BLOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Jamming | Knowledge Addiction
- Daily Prompt: Express Yourself! | The WordPress C(h)ronicle
- The Match (Part 5) 40 Acres | The Jittery Goat
- Singing All The Way | Knowledge Addiction
- DP Daily Prompt: Express Yourself! | Sabethville
- Write to Heal | From Hiding to Blogging
- Xi’an, the Place with Enriched Stories | From Hiding to Blogging
- Taipei – a Mesmerizing City | From Hiding to Blogging
- Broken Dreams? | Tale of Two Tomatoes
- Daily prompt – Express yourself! | myjourneyeveryday
- Daily Prompt: Express Yourself! | benjaminsolak
- Bed Talks | Views Splash!
- The Creator God and His Gift to Us | meanderedwanderings
- Express Yourself | Dragon Droppings
- Express Yourself | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Daily Prompt: Express Yourself-Is it Children’s Obligation to Take Care of Their Parents? | Journeyman
- I teach! | Purplesus’ Blog
- Quadruple Threat [Intimate Sessions] | She Writes
- [M.M.X.I.V. 95] The dancing feet | Never A Worry
- Daily Prompt: Express Yourself! | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Building Blocks of a Project | Photography Journal Blog
- More than an Expression…an Extension of Me | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- E Is For Expressing Yourself | My Little Avalon
- My Games… | from dusk to dawn….
- Creativity in pranks, viruses and retaliation: This week’s weird and wacky news « psychologistmimi
- Reach High | Flowers and Breezes
- Freedom In Expression | Coffee With Jesus
- Daily Prompt: Express Yourself! | seikaiha’s blah-blah-blah
- DAILY PROMPT: Express Yourself | Melissa Holden
- My dog doesn’t see the point of leg weaves |
- 8 things I have to say about debate | Never Stationary
- A Small Guest With a Box of Sweets | wisskko’s blog
- Daily Prompt: Express Yourself! | thechangingpalette
- Daily Prompt: Express Yourself! | I Just Like Doing Them | Shawn Daily
- Daily Prompt: Express Yourself | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Sunset Over India | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Daily Prompt Express Yourself : Joy | Angela McCauley
- Please Don’t Call Me A Writer
- Daily Prompt: Express Yourself | Words4jp’s Blog
- Therapy | In the Present
- Daily Prompt: Express Yourself | That Montreal Girl
- Daily Prompt: Express yourself | A cup of noodle soup
- Express Yourself | Kimmiecode
- Daily prompt: Express yourself! | Go, See, Live
- Express Yourself | The Land Slide Photography
- you keep me at varying | y
- No Such Thing as Self-Expression | Author Laura Lee
- Comin’ Through the Rye | Speculative Paradigm Shifts